A building modification is a written approval from the VBA (Victorian Building Authority) to alter / modify a clause in the NCC (National Construction Code)
Where a practitioner (either builder or building designer) believes they are unable to complete a job in compliance with the relevant regulations or codes and standards, they may apply for a modification.
A modification application must be accompanied by the appropriate fee and all necessary original documentation as indicated in the application form(s).
If your design does not comply with the building regulations, there are circumstances where we can apply to the VBA on your behalf to vary this.
What is our process?
- Complete our Building Consulting Application Form along with these documents:
- Certificate of Title & Plan of Subdivision (no more than 60 days old with evidence of ownership). Obtain from Landata
- Architectural drawings.
- VBA owners consent.
- Written letter stating the reasons why you are apply for a modification and why the modification should be granted under the circumstances.
- Any additional evidence to support your application, ie photos, site surveys etc.
- Payment of fees (to be determined upon receipt of request).
- We will then complete a comprehensive report and submit this to the VBA. We may ask you for additional documents to strengthen your application.
- Wait for a response. Timeframes will depend on the VBA.
- All documents must be in PDF format.
SP will send out completed reports to VBA within 5 days of receiving all the required documentation. Usually the VBA will sit a hearing once a month. We will provide you with an updated on the estate response time from the VBA within one week of the application being send off.